Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lily's Story

A year ago today, me and Mike found out that were were pregnant. I can't even put into words what a miracle Lily is. I wanted to write down her story, so I can always remember it, and so that I can share it with others.

On June 23, 2009 I saw the faintest little pink line. I was ecstatic, nervous, excited and anxious all at the same time. The beginning of my pregnancy was pretty normal, We had our first ultrasound at 6 weeks, then another at 8 weeks to check on the baby again because her heartbeat was  little slow at the first ultrasound, All was well and we got our due date of March 6th 2010! I had horrible morning sickness and mood swings and was just plain exhausted! Then on Oct 9th 2009 we found out we were having a healthy baby girl. We decided her name would be Lily Elizabeth. Me and Mike were on cloud 9. I wanted to be a mother so bad and I was thanking God everyday for blessing me with her. I absolutely LOVED being pregnant. all the way up to the day I delivered.




Things went south on Nov 28th 2009. I was 26 weeks. I was at work in the morning, and I was throwing up, and feeling really odd. My stomach was hurting and I knew something was off. Around 2 in the afternoon I decided to call my doctor and head to L & D. I was thinking they would send me home within an hour or so of monitoring me, so I told Mike to stay at work, that everything was fine. Well.. it wasn't. After about 30 minutes of being monitored the nurse came in and said I was having contractions. She checked my cervix and I was 1 cm dilated. I lost it. I had no idea how to feel.. I was trying to get my self together when the nurse said she was going to go call the doctor. I was in labor. How? why? will my baby survive? I picked up the phone to call Mike, he didn't answer.. he must have been on a call. So I called my twin sister and lost it again. I could barley get the words "I'm in labor out". I eventually got a hold of mike and he came to the hospital. After that it's a blur. I had an ultrasound where my doctor said Lily was about 1 lb 14 oz. I can not have a one Pound baby I thought. No way. She said she would do everything she could to stop my labor. Tons of people were coming in and out of my room. I had a round of the steroids to help her lung development and the NICU team came to meet with me and Mike and explain what they would have to do if Lily was born today. I spent the next 5 days in the hospital while they attempted to stop my labor. Finally I stopped contracting. I went home on strict bed rest. I contracted daily and went back into labor at 34 weeks, Thankfully that was also stopped.

During further ultrasounds it looked like Lily was falling behind in growth. She was in the 12th percentile and My doctors said that if she dropped below the 10th they would have to deliver because my placenta may not be doing it's job. Thankfully she stayed in the 11th for the remainder of my pregnancy.




At 36 weeks 6 days I was admitted into L & D to have my baby. I was contracting regularly, but My doctors started Pitocin to speed things along because I had developed preeclampsia. My blood pressure was 171/110. I slept through my labor ( thank goodness for epidurals) at 3:30 am my water broke, the nurse cleaned things up and I feel back asleep. At 6 am I was checked And i was 6 cm. An hour later, something felt strange. I needed to push. They checked me again and I was ready! However my mom was still on her way to the hospital, so I held off pushing as long as I could. She got there and around 8:10 am I began to push. It was exhausting. I have no idea how women can push for 2 hours. About 5 sets of pushes and about 20 minutes later my Lily made her arrival at 8:37am on Feb 13th 2010. On the day I turned 37 weeks. She only made the cut by a few hours, But I had a full term baby.! I was in love. She was beautiful, tiny, and perfect. She was 5 lbs 10 oz, 18 3/4 inches long. we spent the next few hours just enjoying out baby girl.





About 2 hours after giving birth I started to lose my vision. My blood pressure wasn't going down so they started magnesium sulfate. I felt like my body was on fire. Thankfully after 4 days We got to go home and start our life as a family!

I love being a mother so much. Everyday Lily reminds me why I prayed so hard for her. I am so proud to be her mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment